75100385

Under Section 31A of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act

Under Section 31A of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act (VERA) is failure to licence or declare SORN a vehicle a summary offence?
If your answer to the above is yes, then are DVLA acting illegally by issuing people with a "Late Licensing Penalty" instead?
Iain Dunn
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello Iain my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.You are correct but no, they are not acting illegally.The same way you can get a fixed penalty for speeding, its not a conviction in Court. Its an alternative disposal.The DVLA are able to do a similar thing.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see how DVLA can have it both ways as it doesn't make sense? You've answered my question though. Thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
The Police have it both ways, they dont have to charge they can caution, warn or give a fixed penalty.TV licencing or train companies dont have to charge, again they can chose not to prosecute.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I hope that assists you.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Normally you are given a choice. Either pay a fine or go to court. DVLA become judge, jury and executioner with LLP's.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Indeed. Sadly I can only tell you what the law is.Alex