75100385

Under Section 31A of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act

Under Section 31A of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act (VERA) is failure to licence or declare SORN a vehicle a summary offence?
If your answer to the above is yes, then are DVLA acting illegally by issuing people with a "Late Licensing Penalty" instead?
Iain Dunn
Hello Iain my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.You are correct but no, they are not acting illegally.The same way you can get a fixed penalty for speeding, its not a conviction in Court. Its an alternative disposal.The DVLA are able to do a similar thing.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see how DVLA can have it both ways as it doesn't make sense? You've answered my question though. Thank you.
The Police have it both ways, they dont have to charge they can caution, warn or give a fixed penalty.TV licencing or train companies dont have to charge, again they can chose not to prosecute.
I hope that assists you.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Normally you are given a choice. Either pay a fine or go to court. DVLA become judge, jury and executioner with LLP's.
Indeed. Sadly I can only tell you what the law is.Alex