29905560

I didn't attend the staff meeting was announced verbally.the

Customer Question

I didn't attend the staff meeting was announced verbally.the meeting was only planned to be for 10minutes at 5.30pm. The reason I didn't attend as I have 21 moths child, and I'm looking after him when I m not working.
I did asked to have a personal meeting as it was only for short time, and my work supposed to start at 7pm that evening
For attending meetings during not working hourscompany doesn't pay us.
To come with child it takes more when an hour to me
Also this time of day we usually are after lunch nap and having lunch
For not attending the meeting I be been punished, 1. Stayed at home that evening
2.they reduced my tips rate for two weeks
3. Im coming to work on Wednesday and I think I ll get a written warning
My question would be:
1.How many times they can punish me for not attending meeting.(stayed at home, reducing tips, and maybe warning letter)
2. Do I have any rights as a mother growing and looking after my child?
3. Does employer needs to pay for coming to meeting at my non working hours or my day off?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sinced 2006
Does your contract state that you are required to attend meetings outside of working hours?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not sure about it! But could be as its restaurant work and we work by shifts. I don't have the contract w me.
Thank you. To answer your questions: 1. How many times they can punish me for not attending meeting.(stayed at home, reducing tips, and maybe warning letter) A warning is a normal disciplinary outcome which they can issue if deemed necessary and after a formal disciplinary procedure is followed. Sending you home after a shift had already been confirmed will depend on your contract. You would assume that if you have had it confirmed you would be allowed to work it – if the contract does not state that you can have shifts cancelled at such short notice and without compensation, then you should argue that you should be treated as having been placed on suspension, for which you must be paid normally. The reduction in tips is also something which has to be allowed under your contract or perhaps the Tronc system in work so you you need to check if it is allowed. 2. Do I have any rights as a mother growing and looking after my child? Yes you do. You have the right to apply for flexible working hours. This could mean the employer being more flexible about your shifts in general and additional matters like attending staff meetings. You could try and argue that their behaviour could potentially amount to indirect sex discrimination to give you more weight in any complaint. 3. Does employer needs to pay for coming to meeting at my non working hours or my day off? You need to check your contract n this too. Generally if you are hourly paid and entitled to earn overtime you would expect to be paid for such meetings like working overtime. However, if you are a salaried employee and not entitled to specific overtime hours or pay, you could be asked to attend for free. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.