Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I agreed to a cosmetic procedure with a doctor at her clinic

Customer Question

I agreed to a cosmetic procedure with a doctor at her clinic - when she explained that the post proceedere requirements and recovery time were much more restrictive than stated on line and in advertising information. I told her later I was nervous to proceed and asked if I could be reimbursed but she is holding onto my fee £1k (cost of procedure) stating that half is hers. The form I asked me to sign prior to this mentions no restrictions/penalty if I were to pull out. Please would you let me know what my rights are?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Has she stated on what basis half of it is hers, for example, is the initial consultation stated to be free?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on line and she also states that the consultation is/was free - now she is saying I need to pay for it (no evidence of this in print) as I agreed to go ahead (signed form) then declined. The procedure would then have taken 2 hours. She said when I first spoke that her time was worth £50 an hour and I was ready to offer her the cost of that including the cost of the 1/2hr consultation but she insists she should keep £450 of the £1k fee I have paid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ps I have a copy of the signed form I can send you - just 2 pages with nothing on it regarding penalty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is an italian doctor (I don't know how law operates there) but she did not give me a valid reason why 50%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please would you let me know status
If you have evidence that the first consultation is free then she cannot keep anything .I would go online using another e mail address and name and see whether a free consultation is offered . If so , save or print the e mail message or screen print.Otherwise, she is entitled to the reasonable cost of the first interview. I doubt her time is worth £450.00 per hour or that she can produce any evidence that she successfully charges this rate.She cannot charge you a penalty as the contract/paperwork does not state that she can.She has incurred no loss or cost as a consequence of you not proceedingShe is being greedy and simply trying to hang onto as much of your money as she can.I would threaten to report her to any professional organisation she belongs to and to take proceedings to recover all the money unless she agrees a reasonable fee and returns the balance within, say, 7 days.I hope this helps. If there are any further points please respond and I will be happy to reply.Best wishesMichael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Michael
My pleasureMichael