Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I went into partnership with a so called friend buying and

i went into partnership with a so called friend buying and selling a few cars, in total i put in about �4000 plus �900 deposit on the insurance for the last 2 months ive heard nothing back from him until today where he threatened me with violence. ive asked where the cars are and he wouldnt give answer. I believe hes sold them and kept the money. how do i stand where there was nothing in writing but he does admit there was a deal done. Have i a case to claim my money back. Regards Paul
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Was this a cash deal? Do you have any proof of the money you gave him? Also have you thought about reporting this matter to the police?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i have thought about reporting to police however i am reluctant as i hought he was a friend and also he put his father on phone and he said that the police had said ir was a civil matter. Now whether he had actually spoke to them i very much doubt as when i asked where the cars were he couldnt answer. Do you suggest this is my next course of action?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
It is a civil matter but he appears to have been dishonest in his dealings with you, which really amounts to fraud. I suggest you speak with the police directly - even in business dealings people can commit criminal offences so there is no reason why the police can't investigate this for you. Apart from anything else they can deal with these things far more quickly and cheaply than going to court. If police will not take action you need to write and set out your losses and request a reimbursement within 14 days or say you will go to court. Your claim is on the basis of a breach of your agreement. You should make sure you send this letter by signed delivery and keep a copy.If he does not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce by sending bailiffs to seize his property or by putting a charge on his house, for example.