12826847

I have been attending a course as a mature female student during

Customer Question

I have been attending a course as a mature female student during 2015, as part of a two year course. A n other male student kept interrupting others in class, being argumentative and correcting them about their comments and answers. He does so in a loud angry and physically demonstrative way. While doing triad and diad work i came into his firing line and received similar treatment including name calling and comments that i was a liar. I found this disruptive behaviour distracting especially when no tutor challenged his behaviour. I am in the process of lodging a written complaint to the college. The person's behaviour appears to be a lot to do with different people, such as me, being a trigger from his bad childhood experiences. The training is for prospective counsellors and my concern is that i may be taken for slander or defamation of character if i refer to his previous childhood which he has shared with the whole class. Our class is charged with confidentiality, whatever is said there stays there. Would i be breaching this confidentiality by including statements he made to me, about me and about his childhood diffs. I am concerned that this individual will be "triggered" by any real clients who come to him for counselling in the future and this may result in similar behaviour towards them. I will be discontinuing this course because i find the learning environment disruptive and the tutors unable or unwilling to challenge this disruptive and rude behaviour. My fear is that i would be charged with slander and or defamination of character. Thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
To whom are you going to say this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am writing a complaint to the college in Dublin who deliver the course under the auspices of an English university
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Why do you need to refer to this to complain about his conduct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To illustrate how his past childhood experiences are to my mind negatively impacting on myself as a student in this class environment and also to flag up my concerns how any client he works with in the future may fall foul of this behaviour if they become a trigger for him. A trigger if someone who reminds him of his past negative experiences, eg he referred to me as a matron, a liar and took insult when others mentioned religion since he associated them with people who mistreated him in past, religious people and his over religious mother
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You couldn't be sued for libel as it is true or at least fair comment.You would be in breach of the confidentiality clause though and the college could take action against you.It is a point you don't need to make by breaching confidentiality if you just want to complain about his conduct. It really doesn't matter why he is behaving in this way. The point is that he is. Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would i be in breach of confidentiality clause since the personnel to whom i am complaining are the college and uni themselves and nothing is being read by anybody in the public domain? In my belief this person is unstable mentally and yet he is being allowed into the public domain to work as a counsellor, where he may well encounter people as his trigger. I felt that referring to this trigger behaviour coupled with his own admission of abuse that my complaint would have have more strength. I also want a return of fees paid or is that something i would not be entitled to?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Because you have signed a confidentiality clause which you are breaching by disclosing this.You may have that belief. You are still in breach.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not signed any contract. It is just a verbal contract requested by tutor to which students are expected to agree
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and that is a confidentiality clause.If you act in breach the college could and would take action against you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can i make a written complaint without using precise info such as this to indicate how his past is impacting presently on his behaviour? It may come across just a a whinging person?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it might.But how his past is impacting is a non issue and certainly nothing to do with you or them.The issue is what behaviour is being exhibited that affects others.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The other alternative is not to complain.If you do reveal this information then you will be in breach of confidentiality.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can i make a written complaint without using precise info such as this to indicate how his past is impacting presently on his behaviour? It may come across just a a whinging person? May i have time to print your info please before it is removed? Also i am able to access other people's questions. Can i be assured that this question and answer of mine is not able to be viewed by anyone else? Thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it might.But how his past is impacting is a non issue and certainly nothing to do with you or them.The issue is what behaviour is being exhibited that affects others.This is a public site and your post is visible to any onlooker although you are anonymous on here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks please advice me of payment due.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is no need to do anything else. That is all resolved.All the best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.