29905560

I was shopping with my husband in morrisons at the time unknown

I was shopping with my husband in morrisons at the time unknown to myself he was shoplifting. At the till he left various articles in the trolly whilst I at the time was conversing with an old work colleague. On leaving the store he was stopped by a plain clothes security guard and we were both (including my 6yr old and 3year old) into an office. A manager took the trolly and refused to let me have my handbag which was on top. Once in there my husband emptied his pockets and told the guys I had nothing to do with it. He straight away offered to pay for the goods and left the room to do so. This left me on my own with 2 security guards, 1 taking details and 1 stood in front of the door (big guy so quite intimidating) and a cashier. I questioned the guy why he needed my details when I hadn't done anything. He immediately got quite verbally aggressive saying I had an attitude problem and he was now contacting the police. I asked him too be aware that my kids were in the room and I just wanted to know what they were actually accusing me of when my husband had already admitted fault. He continued right in my face about my attitude and when my husband returned said 'I'm calling the police on you (just my husband, not me)and you can blame her for that!' After my husband asking for a bit of leniency he cancelled the call ( the man moved from the door when my husband returned). We have both obviously been banned indefinitely but feel I was treated extremely unfairly but am apparently guilty by association. They had nothing on me proved by his attitude and using me as an excuse to contact the police about my husband. I felt extremely intimidated by them both and didn't deserve to be spoken to like he did.
Were they right to treat me like this? Found him very aggressive and intimidating.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping to achieve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the moment I don't know, I genuinely didn't know what he was doing but whilst in the office alone when I attempted to question him he was very verbally aggressive saying I had an attitude and threatening me with the police!! They had nothing on me as I didn't do anything my husband said as such as soon as we were in the back room. As such he was going to get my husband arrested for my attitude!! They didn't even search me or my bag
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My kids were there and they were listening to this man threaten to lock there parents up its disgusting. I'm not condoning my husband he got what he deserved but I didnt
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
I completely understand that the position you were placed in would have been intimidating and unsettling, but legally they have not really done anything wrong, which you can take further action for. They may have spoken to you rudely and threatened to call the police due to your behaviour but even if you were innocent, it is not illegal to say these things. What they have displayed is poor customer relations (you were still a customer after all). However, legally that is not unlawful behaviour. There is a moral argument that they should have approached the issues better and more diplomatically, especially if the children were present, but failure to do so is bad practice, rather than unlawful behaviour. They may have still considered you a suspect, even if your husband had admitted to it. just because there was an admission by him does not mean you were innocent and at the time they may not have known for certain if you were guilty or not. He could have just been covering for you so unless they could satisfy themselves for certain that you were innocent you could have still been a potential suspect for them at the time. So the best you can do here is to complain to the store but legally there is not much you can do to challenge their action I’m afraid. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see from your rating that you were not entirely satisfied with the service I have provided you with. As a lawyer I have to be honest and quote the law as it is and it may not necessarily be the answer you wanted to receive - unfortunately there is little I can do about this. If you are upset at your situation but not by the quality of my answer, please consider re-rating positively as I am only a messenger. If you simply want more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you