12826847

My neighbour has installed cctv on his residential property

Customer Question

hello
my neighbour has installed cctv on his residential property
one camera is situated under the eves of his house overlooking my property and although he denies the camera is not pointing over my property i cannot tel as it is housed under a circular canopy as in shopping malls etc
i think this is a breach of human rights and am concerned as my 7 year old granddaughter visits us every day so he could be videoing her as. well.
I feel this is bordering on harassment and would appreciate your views
thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry but it is not.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You do not have a human right to privacy. There is no such thing in the UK. The HRA concerns the relationship between the state and the individual not individuals anyway.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is no free standing right to privacy in the UK. There were attempts to extend the HRA in that direction which have failed spectacularly.There is no magic in the fact that a child is caught upon the footage. They have no more rights than anybody else.If that were unlawful then the local council's CCTV would be permanently disallowed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If all cameras are pointed only at your property then it might be that the police would tell them to point them elsewhere but it doesn't mean your property couldn't be caught up in panoramic footage.CCTV is rather antagonistic of neighbours but not unlawful.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Private footage doesn't even have to comply with the DPA as it is specifically excluded. Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As the camera is definate ly overlooking and pointed at my property I feel I have grounds that our privacy is violated and the cctv system is tantamount to harassment and even voyeurism as a 7 year old granddaughter calls to our home everyday
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I understand that. You do not have a case for the reasons above.I am sorry.