75100385

If I repair the approach to a ford,which does not have any

If I repair the approach to a ford,which does not have any registered owner, and which is currently in a dangerous and impassable state, would I then be liable if someone has an accident using it?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Do you make the vehicle roadworthy please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You misunderstand the word ford. A ford is a river crossing and in this instance I am primarily interested in repairing it to make it safe for horses
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Oh I see you dont mean Ford the make, but ford as in water across the road! Sorry....... Are you the landowner which it crosses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. There is no registered owner to be found despite exhaustive searches and therefore no one whose responsibility it is to repair the ford approach. I am prepared to do it but want to know my legal position if, say, someone falls off their horse and looks to sue somebody. If I could be liable can I get insurance to cover me, remembering I don't own the land?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - if you carry out repairs and something happens then yes you would be liable.You need to show you are qualified to carry out such civil engineering works. If not then you open yourself up to a negligence claim because you would not be qualified.You may get insurance but you would need to get a broker for this. Someone must own the land, it just may be unregistered.But yes you can do the work, but you may be liable for any accidents as a result.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex