75100385

My daughter, student teacher, has received a letter before

Customer Question

My daughter, student teacher, has received a letter before action from Civil Enforcement Ltd. She doesn't think she parked as stated and doesn't think she received the original notice. She is at a difficult time in her studies so I don't want her bothered by this. Am I best to pay the £140 on her behalf? I have the money to pay but do not like enriching a company like CEL unless I need to.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Has she asked for evidence please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, she hasn't
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
ok I would as she may be able to appeal. You want evidence of any contravention. They may also be able to appeal to an Indepednent body.Or she and you may wish to just pay it and get it over with.Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** still able to ask for the evidence at this stage where they have already issued the letter before action. If so should she send a simple letter asking for the evidence?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
She can ask but if it has beyond the appeal process then they may not supply it.But yes she can ask for it under the Data Protection Act 1998.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything else?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. You seem to be saying that we can ask for the evidence but they do not need to provide it. If that is the case then I think we will pay the £140 they are asking for.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
They MUST provide it. You can ask under the Data Protection Act. She is entitled to it, if not they commit an offence.They must provide it by law within 40 days of asking
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say in their letter before action that the £140 needs to be paid within 14 days, so as their letter is dated 3rd March I assume this means by 17th March. If we took the asking for evidence route, we would probably miss the deadline.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No, its ok. You can have evidence. They are unlikely to issue proceedings on your request for evidence.Do not be bullied by them
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does that help?Alex