29905560

Today I received a letter from my partners parents. They ask

Today I received a letter from my partners parents. They ask me to repay the 5,500 loaned to me 5 years ago Via my partner.
They say my partner is unaware of of this letter as the loan is between them and myself.
They further say about unexpected bills they have.
My very real concern is I have no knowledge of this loan. I have asked my partner and he has said to me 'they said I told you it was a loan and I allegedly told his father I would pay it back.
I am lost for words, I don't know what exactly is happening.
My partner was normal this normal now I am unable to make contact.
Emotions aside I have never asked or received a loan from them.
My partner has given me gifts or money.
Last thing I want is going to court.
What on earth can I do, they are waiting for a reply from me.
I have read the letter over and over and still can't take it in.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you think they have any evidence that a loan was agreed between you and them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Impossible as I have never had a loan from them.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
It does not appear that any type of loan was ever agreed between you and them. There is unfortunately nothing stopping them from making a court claim but they would have to prove that a loan was given, so they would either need some correspondence or written evidence, proof that the money was sent over or have very convincing oral evidence. The main thing now is that you do not admit to anything and simple refute their claims stating that no loan was ever entered into, and that you will not discuss this any further with them. Remember, you cannot prevent a court claim if that is what they want, but they will have a difficult time trying to win it so in the end you should hopefully either have the claim struck out as its prospects of success will be weak or they will simply not be convinced by the lack of evidence and not rule in their favour. But hopefully it will not ever go that far - if they have any common sense they will not claim as they should know that it is a weak claim without any evidence. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it have any bearing that they say it was via their son. To me that states they loaned him the money ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
yes indeed, they cannot agree between them tat this a loan for you, not tell you about it and then expect you to be liable. If anything they will have to pursue their son for this, who will then in turn have to pursue you, but again he will have to show that there was an agreement between you two for this to be a loan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So just because they say I knew or say I had a conversation has no bearing?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Well that is what they say, you will say differently of course - it is basically your word against theirs, with such uncertainty the court will generally give the benefit of the doubt to the respondent, which is you. Of course that is no guarantee and there will always be a degree of risk but with no evidence at all on their part the odds will work in your favour more than in theirs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best