Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have been divorced years, my youngest daughter is now

Customer Question

I have been divorced for 7 years, my youngest daughter is now 17. My ex & I went to mediation & agreed that he would continue to pay maintenance till she was 19 & the family house will be split 62/38 in my favour as our daughter lives with me. He only saw her once a week in all that time & their relationship wasn't very close. I've put the house on the market now, as it's just too big & costing me too much money to live here, I can't afford to buy him out, so I'm downsizing to accommodate just myself & my daughter. Unfortunately, my daughter thinks she wants to go & live with her dad now, as suddenly he wants to get to know her again!! Will that affect the split of the house if she does? I now don't know what to look for in terms of size & cost of house, as she can't make her mind up. Please can you advise?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. What were the reasons for the split of the home to be 62% in your favour? Also, is your daughter still in education? If so, what are her studies and what are her plans over the next few years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 62% split was agreed so I could find a place for the two of us to live when I sold the house as she was living with me.
She is at college at the moment, ends her first year in July, starts second year in Sept, then hopes to get a job after hshe completes year 2. She has no interest in uni.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the confirmation. If she is studying A-Levels or an approved government training course at college, then child maintenance would be payable until she completes this. Given that the basis of the division of the former marital home was on the basis that your daughter is to live with you, and she is now indicating she wishes to live with her father, the agreement may need to be revisited. In any event, it may be in your interest, should she actually go to live with him, to consider a delay of the sale of the home until she finishes college, and for the home to be sold after that.It may also be an option to have a face to face meeting with the three of you so that the future plans for your daughter are fully agreed before you start revisiting the agreement.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiMy name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 yearsMy colleague neglected to ask if the agreement was ever turned into a Court Order - and WHEN the agreement was madeClare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Agreement was made 7.5 years ago through mediation & never through the court
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Has your ex remarried at all?What is his financial position?