Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have a house in England that I will sell and want to buy

I have a house in England that I will sell and want to buy a new build house in Scotland. How should I proceed?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Is the property freehold or leasehold? Have you marketed the property? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AJ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AJ, Both properties are freehold. We have not started to sell or buy as yet, but the builder of the house in Scotland wants a £1000 deposit and some missives signing with 2 weeks which seems the total reverse of what happens in England and makes me very nervous.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thank you. If you are worried about paying the £1000 deposit for a new build then just pay it by an British/English issued credit card - the money will then be subject to the protections under the Consumer Credit Act s75. It is normal in England/Scotland for new build properties to require the payment of a reserving deposit. This should be deducted from the purchase price. Do you have a solicitor engaged to deal with the purchase?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am talking to two Scottish solicitors now. Thanks for your help.