12826847

Again.....same players, different issue! As an aside,

Hello again.....same players, different issue! As an aside, I decided against the
Letter Before action, but many thanks for the advice. I have had no contact with the ex since I was interviewed under caution by the police last September, although have continued to work in her neighbourhood from time to time. That said, my presence seems to prompt a barrage of insults on her Pinterest account, with 'pins' using the words c**t, twat, shit, stalker, f**k off, douchebag and similar. It seems clear that these messages are diirected at me, but I am not named specifically. That selection was posted some 4 months ago. However, just this last week, i happened to scroll through her boards on Pinterest to see what other poisonous messages she may have posted and I inadvertently 'liked' one of her pins, such is the sensitivity of modern day touch screen devices. This was met by a barrage of some 21 pins including choice phrases as twat, f**ktard, twat waffle, wanker, lying manipulator. This time, these pins were grouped together under the heading 'Just William', a clear reference to me. In simple terms, has she committed an offence under the Malicious Communications Act or the Protection Against Harrassment Act? Any advice gratefully received. Regards, ***** *****
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, well she is mad, isn't she? You are just living in her head rent free and the irony is that she thinks the problem lies with you not her! What was the outcome of the police contact?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There was no case for me to answer. I was working in area quite legitimately and provided details of customers, dates and my general movements. I don't know whether the police corroborated this information. The police informed the complainant, who apparently said that she was unaware that I was working in the neighbourhood. The police told me to have no contact and I have not done so. Following the report to the police, she installed a cctv camera, the subject of earlier correspondence between us.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
When you say told you to have no contact, do you mean they gave you a harassment warning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, absolutely not! They issued no such warning to me. The 'no contact' advice was a discussion between the police, duty solicitor and me at the end of the interview; common sense really. In simple terms, avoid her and her family at all costs. If they approached me, to walk away, that kind of thing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you reply to my response at 09.36 EST?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
In that case, if these acts of contact were separate then she is harassing you.It would have been better if you hadn't liked the post but that doesn't really justify a torrent of abuse even when you are a mad woman who keeps the police on speed dial because it is a free service.If she is using foul language then that is also a malicious communication offence.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. A couple of points

1. Does it matter that the first series of pin posts did not name me specifically?

2. If I were to take this further, how do I proceed? Take a screen snapshot of the offensive pins? Make an appointment with the local police? Write to them instead?

3. I appreciate you don't have a crystal ball, but what would likely be the police process, assuming they believed there was a case to answer? An interview under caution? A retraction of the offensive pins and maybe an apology? A slap on the wrist?

Regards,

William

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
1 Not if it is clearly directed at you or about you. 2 Just take the screenshots to the police. I don't generally advise people to make complaints about online conduct but if she is going to make allegations about you then you need to protect yourself. 3 I would imagine they will just give her a harassment warning but the point is that it takes the power of being an accuser from her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why do you not generally advise making complaints about online conduct?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how to rephrase it. I would never advise people to make reports to the police about unpleasant messages online. It isn't really best use of taxpayer's money that the police investigate that type of thing. However, here there is more involved because you need to protect yourself from her allegations.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice