ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I hired the property conveyancer / solicitor (Recommended by

I hired the property conveyancer / solicitor (Recommended by agent) for my house purchase, he asked for £250 advance and ID documents. Paid him the money along with all documents but passport as he wanted that in person. They are about 70 miles so I thought once deal is confirmed I will drive and drop it.Long story short, seller wasted 3 months and decided not to sell the house. I lost survey fees paid to the bank as I stopped solicitor to do any searches before I am sure from seller.Now I asked solicitor to refund the advance, but he is asking for ID document in order to refund my advance fee for the services I never used. I know it's anti money laundering regulation to provide ID docs but I am not going ahead with the purchase anymore but he still claims that it's law to provide him ID docs even to get my refund.Is that law? Do I have to drive all they way to drop my ID and take my refund although I won't be using them anymore?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh by the way he have digital copy of IDs my passport & license, which I sent him very first day.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will assist you. Whilst I appreciate that the matter did not complete - the solicitor will still want to see your ID to verify it is you. I would suggest that you offer a certified copy of your passport. This is where you take your photo ID to a solicitor more local to you and ask them to sign a photocopy of the documents to confirm that they are a true likeness of you. Whilst this will cost you £5 - it will certainly be cheaper than the petrol for a 70 mile journey. Kind Regards Caroline Please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi CarolineThanks for the answer, but is this a law? Or an opinion?
Isn't like you go to bank to open an account and you change your mind but bank insist you to provide them the IDs?I appreciate your response but I need a clear answer whether it's by law or not. Same like I need to provide the IDs if I am buying a house in accordance with anti money laundering regulation. But when solicitor hasn't done any regulatory work and no money is being paid towards house deposit, why he would need to verify the identity to refund his fees?
Hello To comply with the Money Laundering Regs - then ID should be verified at the start of any case. It is still important even if the case doesn't finalise. If someone wanted to money launder - then a failed transaction - means that clean money is returned to them. Whilst I appreciate that you have not paid a deposit and only your fee- the actual process of returning your fee to you involves the solicitor handing your money. Whilst this is still only a small amount - they still need to do this. In reality - the onus is on the solicitor to have taken all of the information at the time and not you. If you didn't comply now - then the worst that could happen is that the case is report to the Serious Organised Crime Agency so that they can decide if they want to investigate. I doubt that they will refund your fee until you comply. Kind regards Caroline