75100385

I am an author. A few years ago, I reported another author

I am an author. A few years ago, I reported another author to the police for stalking and she was cautioned. She has now published a novel about a love affair between two women in which one of them is a psychopath/villain who manipulates the main character and the main character is falsely reprimanded by the police. Although I am not identified, I know this is based on me, and she has used some details of my life. Can I sue her for defamation? There is a disclaimer at the front of the novel saying it is a work of fiction and any resemblance to real life is coincidental.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.You know its you, but in reality would the general public know its you?What serious harm, if any have you suffered as a result please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't suffered any serious harm, but I worry that my publisher will read it and know it is me, or other people I spoke to will know.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sadly in that case there is nothing you can do. Only if you have suffered serious harm can you take any action under the Defamation Act 2013. In any event proceedings would have to be issued in the High Court only.The cost of bringing proceedings to trial would be £20,000 or so and if you lose you would have to pay the legal cost of the other side.But you need to have 'serious harm' before you even get a claim off the ground. As it stands you dont have a claim I am afraid to say.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine, thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/