Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My landlord changed the locks on the front door on Saturday

My landlord changed the locks on the front door on Saturday because they thought the house was empty but I explained to them that my wife has moved out with our three children into council house and I still want to live at the property and had not been in touch as I work nights and been doing long hours so they changed the locks again and let me back into the property and said they would come around today but I missed the appointment as I fell asleep and they are now going to change the locks again on Friday surely they can't do that can they
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Is your tenancy still in place? Has the landlord obtained a possession order or eviction notice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the tenancy is still in place and not had possession order or eviction notice they text my wife saying they were going to change the locks the first time
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the confirmation. Is it a joint tenancy? Is your name on the tenancy? Has your wife given notice to quit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a joint tenancy and no my wife hasn't
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The landlord has committed a offence and should not have changed the locks. This is treated as unlawful eviction and you have grounds to pursue a claim against the landlord for damages regarding this and the landlord can face prosecution. Please see here for more information: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction/harassment_and_illegal_eviction_by_landlord/illegal_eviction
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.