12826847

I got fined a fag at a station in Wealden

Customer Question

I got fined for dropping a fag butt at a station in Wealden Council area but there are no bins or any signs on the side of the street I was on. Can they really fine me if they don't provide a bin? Also they say "there is no formal right to appeal" is this within the law? I have never heard of not being able to appeal before
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they can levy a fixed penalty fine for littering. Whether they provide a bin or not is no defence.However, there is a route of appeal. You just don't pay the fixed penalty fine and then if you are summonsed to court you can plead not guilty.I suppose you could write making representations as well but that isn't the form appeal.It isn't a defence to say there were no bins though. Generally speaking there are no bins because they provide opportunities for terrorists that the IRA used to exploit.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. That helps.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. All the best.