75100385

Hope you can help, My son in law bought a van yesterday

Customer Question

Hi - hope you can help,
My son in law bought a van yesterday which was on Autotrader and looked totally legitimate. He did all the necessary checks online and the vehicle came back clear. Unfortunately, the vehicle was stolen and then recovered by the police whilst he was driving it. He paid £4500 for the van, and the seller wanted cash only.
Do I have any where to go with this or have I just been part of a fraudulent transaction. He has helped the police with everything and has the crime number.
Thank you in anticipation of an early response.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Hello do you still have the details of the seller? Have the police dealt with them?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes we have the details of the seller, but we do not believe they are real. The police have not caught this man and retrieved the vehicle from my son in law. This is when he was given the crime number. So he has no van and no £4500!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can send you the pictures from Autotrader and the HPI checks done yesterday on the vehicle that came back clear. Do we have a come back with the HPI company as the vehicle was stolen and obviously the police were aware and looking for the vehicle. Just feel so sorry for my son in law as he works so hard and has a young family too.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello, have you any updates for me?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Just wondered if you have any information for me that's relevant to my query. I would like to continue my investigations and understand my options? Please can you reply so I understand our options.
Thank you in anticipation
Jane
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Didn't he get the details of the seller when he purchased?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes we have the details - but are not real and the telephone number is ***** going to voicemail. The advert was genuine and placed through Auto Trader and the HPI checks came back clear. Please can you let me have anymore questions you have together so I can get some real direction back from you. I really want to get going with what we can or can not do to try and recover the money paid. Or is it just a simple case of, he has been very unlucky? Please can you just let me know what our options are? I don't feel like I am making any headway. I looked to use this service to give me a insight into our options to hopefully cut out loads of futile investigation and incorrect avenues to follow. Please could you advise as soon as possible. I appreciate you must be very busy with more important things, but I really could do with your guidance? Thanks, Jane
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Ok. But how was it collected? How was payment made?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was £4500 cash. We live near Leeds and it was advertised in Leicester. Arran, my son in law drove down and checked over the vehicle, HPI'd it whilst he was there, which a stolen vehicle should have come up on this check. It came back clear. Arran checked all the documentation DVLA and was all correct, so bought the vehicle at the mans house. He clearly now didn't live there, even talked about his disabled wife at home and that he was selling the vehicle on for genuine reasons. Apparently, via the police, the van was bought through a garage and the finance was not correct and the guy didn't exist, therefore they had sold the vehicle and was classed as fraud. The garage then reported it stolen afterwards, however when Arran bought the vehicle, all appeared genuine. Arran was then stopped by the police on the M1 driving back home and they recovered the vehicle from him and all the documents, including the transfer of ownership that the fraudulant seller had given to him.
Hope this all makes sense?
Jane
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
I can't open them here on this connection. I will be home in about an hour and can do it then.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
OK. The plain fact here is that he does have a claim but only against the fraudster. Until the fraudster is found there is nobody to sue.Autotrader is just an advertising site. They do not have liability for the vehicles that are sold.Had he paid by visa he would have had a claim but that didn't happen sadly.I'm very sorry but that is the reality of your situation.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have not been able to use your information and it hasn't helped. I yesterday did all my own homework as I didn't get anything back from you that would help me obtain any significant information. Therefore, I do not want to use this information and therefore I reject the advise. I also therefore, I'm not accepting the fee of £47.00
I found out from the police yesterday that they if arrested the fraudster, would put the van paid for in the mix for compensation. The HPI check company are processing a full claim for the money paid and the police are now in contact with them directly. I organised all this yesterday and provided you with a lot of information, which you didn't provide me with anything I could use or go with. I was interested in your services, but didn't get anything back in time to be able to use. I understand that I have an option to review before I pay the fee. The reply came through last night at 22.41 where I had already had a day of calling and doing my own investigations. I asked you a series of questions yesterday and you didn't actually answer any of them.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
As you are not willing to accept I will be unable to assist any further.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please can you advise me how I get my £47 refunded as it has still been deducted from my account?
Jane
Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 months ago.
Sorry but I've opted out. I can't help further.
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.I see the expert has opted out, what else would you like to know?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have been charged £47 and would like a refund as I did not accept any help or advice. It stated at the beginning if I didn't accept the information or was beneficial - i.e. credible then I could opt to refuse the information. I did not get any information back in time which I could use and ended up sorting it out myself. I was trying to avoid this by using your services and unfortunately, this did not happen. Please can you advise who I can contact to get the refund or can you help. There are no phone numbers anywhere that I can speak to accounts?
Jane
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Ok if I could invite you to email customer service please.***@******.*** although I would be happy to help you.