Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My daughter's boyfriend bought her a car as an early Christmas

My daughter's boyfriend bought her a car as an early Christmas present. The log book and all the paper work is in my daughter's name. However the relationship fell apart. The boyfriend took out a hire purchase agreement in his name. Who is now responsible for the debt and can the car be taken away from her by bailiffs?
I would be grateful for your advice
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The debt and finance is the boyfriends responsibility. Your daughter is not liable for the debt unless she signed the finance document as well. I am afraid that the finance will likely have security over the car so if it is not paid, the finance company will be able to take it away - I would need the finance document to confirm his but it is normal practice. Does your daughter want to keep the car? If the boyfriend stops paying it will damage his credit record. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. She did not sign anything with regards ***** ***** finance agreement. She would like to keep the car. I think the loss of the boyfriends credit rating is immaterial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that it is not possible to get a copy of the agreement from the boyfrien.