Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

There, I'm leaving in a flat with my partner

Hi There,
I'm leaving in a flat with my partner for around five years as she is the owner of the property.
Can I buy another property avoiding the high stamp duty witch will apply from 1st of April 2016.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.Could you please confirm that you are not married nor in a civil partnership?I note that the property you are living in is in the sole name of your partner, and take it that you do not own any other property in the world?I look forward to hearing from you.Al
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Al,
Thanks for your prompt respond.
We are not married but living together and we've got one year old daughter.
The property that we are living is in on my partner's name.
Ivo
Hi Ivo,Thanks for your reply.Well, on the basis that you do not own any property, and the purchase will be in your sole name (ie your partner's name is ***** ***** on the Deeds) you are free to purchase your own property, and pay only the standard rate of Stamp Duty.If you were married, you would be caught by the new Stamp Duty rates which come into force on 1st April, so it is a saving grace that you are not married!I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Al.Much appreciated it.Regards.
Ivo
Thanks Ivo.If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.Best WishesAl