75100385

A friend of mine has been staying with me on and off

A friend of mine has been staying with me on and off for a few weeks. She is going through an acrimonious divorce and have just learned that her ex husband commissioned private investigators to monitor my house for 4 weeks. The surveillance included me giving her a lift to the station, they then followed me back to my home and waited for me to go off to my work. The report includes references to me entering my lounge and watching television, following me into a chip shop and monitoring my order, following me to a petrol station and a tanning shop. The report I have seen include false allegations that I drive in excess of 100 mph.
Do I have any recourse?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What is it you want to achieve? Has anything been reported to the Police?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing has been reported to the Police so far. It seems to me that surveillance is one thing but looking through my windows watching me cook, work and relax and then following me around Milton Keynes is an invasion of my privacy. I am prepared to sue them for damages but I need to know the prospects of success in such cases.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
What would your loss be please, for damages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. The point is that my privacy has been invaded. I have had some PI sit outside my house from 6 am to 2 am monitoring my movements and those of my friend. They are trying to establish that we are co-habiting - we are not - but we are good friends and go on holidays together. The divorce is not on an adultery basis. I feel my privacy has been invaded, I am now watching out for any vehicle parked outside my home, I feel I have been violated. So my reason for contacting you is.... are their actions lawful? do they cross-over what a reasonable person would deem reasonable? and what are the chances that legal action would succeed?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Someone watching inside your house is illegal and can be reported to the Police. However as it stands there is no loss which you can quantify. You can take action but it would be a small claim. You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex