75100385

Can I 'lay' person represent me in a Divorce Financial Settlement.

Can I 'lay' person represent me in a Divorce Financial Settlement. I do not speak the language too well and I have no divorce experience. My ex husband is using a solicitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It should read - can a 'lay' person / not Can I
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.If the Judge allows then yes. You are permitted a McKenzie friend who can support you.If you do not understand English you can ask for an interpreter.But the judge can give permission for a lay person to speak for you in court.Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?Alex
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear AlexWhat is a 'McKenzie' friend?
I need to know if I can be represented by a friend from today. I have been trying to get my ex-huband to agree a settlement but he tries everything to avoid me despite the fact he is still living in our 'joint' house. He has a solicitor but I have simply run out of money so I must either try to negotiate with them or I ask my friend to help. Failure to get an agreement will mean that I will have to start the 'court' process. You mention if the Judge agrees but the Financial Settlement process does not involve a judge for sometime, I need this support now.
Hope this makes sense. I would like a live discussion if this can be arranged but I work until 4.00pm each day.
I look forward to hearing from you. Sofia (077 68 07 02 40)
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.Please understand that a MacKenzie Friend can only assist you.They can draft letters and documents for you - but YOU have to send the letters and receive the responsesThey cannot negotiate directly with the other side - but they can support you in doing so - and can be with you in court to support you should it be necessary.Clare