Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I received a decree nisi with a pension settlement of 50K,

I received a decree nisi with a pension settlement of 50K, stipulating I was not remarried (Date of DN October 2013)...Since then I entered into a brief marriage (abuse, abandoned date of marriage 12/20 2014, never took residence together and there was a prenup; the marriage is being annulled. Is there any issue with me receiving my settlement? The marriage and annulment occurred abroad in the US. The guy was a total con artist. He is also seeking a dovorce in response to the annullment to try to gain money but the court is in my favor to grant the annulment. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. -What were the exact terms of your financial settlement, and was it approved by a court?-Was decree absolute granted?
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.
Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the decree absolute was granted, apiligies for misuse of term. Tje yerms are that I will receive 50k from the lump sum payment of 75k from his pension from hmps. Peter Fishwick is my ex, he is a Governor. He planned to retire at 55, which would be next year.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
and apologies for tiypos I have low vision
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you get back to me today? I have to make a decision Monday about what to do regarding the annulment or the divorce in the US asap. Thank you!!!!
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the confirmation. As long as the court order was made by the court for the terms you have stated then your remarriage will not impact the settlement, except if there was spousal maintenance provision - which ends on remarriage.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with assisting you without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Then why did the solicitor state that I was not to remarry? I am very confused.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My question is, if the remarriage ended does it nullify any terms associated with not to remarry. The only spousal support was a few hundred pounds the first month following the decri absolute. That was three years ago. would hey deem the pension as spousal support? The courts were really annoyed with him considering he abandoned me immediately when I Iost my sight leaving me on the dole. He has mismanaged our marital finances so badly it ended in his filing bankruptcy, and being married at the time I was in financial services. It ended my career and I went back to UNI. The finds were requested to support my recovery from his destruction of my career and leaving me high and dry. It was the maximum allowed and he was rather annoyed about it. I just want to be sure now that the remarriage was a farce and ended, t does not affect my right to the pension payment.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.
No, ending the remarriage will not end coirt ordered lump sum or pensuon provision.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My mistake, he was ordered to pay 23 months spousal support of 300 per month into a ISA which I donated to a friend with a disabled baby as I had moved to America for grad school and to look for a job.. The 23 months then must be what she was talking about by don't get married? It was Carolyn Mahy in Rhyl, an extraordinary person. SO I am good? How do I find out if he had retired yet?
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.
Has the 23 months now ended? If not the remarriage would have been a trigger for him to stop paying the spousal maintenance. In relation to the pension, you would need to contact him to request confirmation of when he has retired. There should have been a clause in the order for him to undertake to inform you. Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited with assisting you without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters