75100385

Someone who has been out of financial services years

Customer Question

Someone who has been out of financial services for 5 years suddenly gives a completely new adviser a list of phone numbers and a background of their previous financial situation
The new adviser starts contacting the clients
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.What would you like to know about this please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi AlexI am an independent financial adviser , an old adviser who has some financial and personal details of some of my clients has passed their telephone numbers to a new adviser , the chap passing on the information has been out of the industry for approx 5 yearsThe new person has now caused some upset by contacting some of them out of the blue , I wounered if any data protection rules had been breached ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Did he have their consent to pass the details on please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No , totally out of the blue !
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
In that case it is a breach of the data protection act. If these people had consented Ie via terms and conditions then it would be OK.But it's a breach of the act pass details of people on without their permission of consent.They could sue for loss and damage and seek compensation under the data protection act.The Information Commissioner could also prosecute as well.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex thankyou very much for your help
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Happy to help!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.If you don't rate then the site does not pay me for the time I have spent answering your question.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/