12826847

I cancelled my broadband services with talk talk in October

Customer Question

I cancelled my broadband services with talk talk in October 2015 when I was no longer tied in on a contract. The general service with Talk Talk had not been good. I had the conversation about my mobile phone accounts to ask to cancel those at the same time as i believed they would no longer be discounted as we would not have broadband with Talk Talk and i was told they could continue with the discount so i did not cancel. I had numerous bills after this charging us for undiscounted tariffs and extra charges for going over the tariffs. After many long phone calls and complaints (I have kept copies of all letters) I asked to cancel the mobile accounts in December 2015 and was told I was in a new 12 month contract with them from October, which I never agreed to( I had been complaining to them so I know I would not have agreed to being with them for a further 12 months!). They are now saying I will owe £245.90 Cancellation fee for breaking the contract.
I have written to them four times now and do not seem to be getting anywhere. Who else can I write to and should I involve a solicitor?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Does your contract roll over automatically?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The contract tie in was till July 2015 so I had no penalty to pay if I left in October . What they are saying is that because I didnt cancel the mobile contract ( they told me if I stayed they could keep the price the same and not increase it) this was an agreement to a new contract as they had looked at the conditions. At no point in the conversations did they say I was agreeing to a new contract for 12 months. I was cancelling in October due to numerous problems so I would not have agreed to sign up for another 12 months. I have not signed anything or had any emails this was all over the phone
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, but does the paper contract say it rolls over authomatically?