12826847

I made an annual pre-payment local paper. During the

I made an annual pre-payment for a local paper. During the year the price increased twice. Am I liable for the increase, or was my pre-payment a fixed price contract.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What did you agree on the point?Was it just not mentioned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No mention made regarding increases and my credit card was debited with the years subscription.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is there an E contract?Is there anything in the small print about increases?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No printed contract seen (now in year 6), website only shows t's&c's for adverts
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
On the face of it then, they cannot vary it. They seem to have agreed X amount and they haven’t specified a variation can be levied. If that is correct then they cannot. I don’t know whether they are saying they have agreed this or that there is an E contract allowing them to act in this way. If they think they can just levy random variations then they are wrong. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo, Found some T&C on an obscure website.
https://www.localsubsplus.co.uk/TandC.aspxThis covers the paper (Stamford Mercury)At time of purchase (March 15) the prices were. Cover price. 95p. Subscription 55pPrice increase 01 June 15. £1-05. 84pPrice Increase 25 Dec 15 £1.15. 92pFrom 30 Nov they have billed me £1.05.I now have a letter from Media Debt Recovery (no doubt the back office of Johnson Press - judging by their similar Leeds address) threatening County Court action for £11.65.I can see where the 'plus' comes from in their URL but there is no mention of price increase handling in their t&c'sPlease advise - thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if this changes the situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume your advice is that the situation stay the same.If I am called before the court and,hopefully win, then they should cover my costs?Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They can only rely on that if they can prove that it was drawn to your attention.You will get costs back but only a fixed amount as it will be a small claims court sum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** more confident about tackling any court action.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. All the best.