29905560

At my work we deal with hazmat items to be sent out .

Customer Question

At my work we deal with hazmat items to be sent out for delivery. For two days I have alerted my higher ups about a few products which I have worked near for 2 days, which have been leaking, the reaction between them and the floor causes the floor to begin to dissolve and create a smell, over the two days I have alerted them 3 times over the days and now I feel ill and experienced almost faint. Is this worth anything.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you mean is it worth anything in terms of compensation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and I would personally like to know if they have done something legally unjust.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even now they haven't dealt with the leaking items
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I expect the night shift to be exposed to the same fume.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
From what you have experienced so far, it is unlikely you have anything serious enough to make a personal injury claim. You need to have suffered an actual injury, but feeling ill or nearly fainting alone will not be sufficient. A good starting point in relation to the employer’s obligations is to look at The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and related statutory instruments, which impose a general duty on employers to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all their employees. This includes a duty to undertake risk assessments and manage activities. In addition, under common law an employer owes a duty of care towards its employees, the breach of which can amount to negligence. So they may have breached health and safety laws which you can report to the Health and Safety Executive. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
My full response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you