12826847

My daughter has been bullied verbally over the past 2 years

Hi my daughter has been bullied verbally over the past 2 years we removed my daughter & placed in another school of which the bully a year later got a placement as we were told the school could not refuse here entery, it distruped my daughter for a while & she is copping well , how ever the parent of the bully has spread rumers that my daughter has been caught smoking canabis has & is bullying her daughter & in general a nasty person , it may seem trivial but we've had to live with this for years & now watch the parent join in trying to destroy my daughters reputation. Is there any thing we can do , I have already spoken to the parents once 2 years ago & this Friday just gone . Which has fallen on deaf ears . Cheers Michael.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can sue them or have them prosecuted to stop them trying to further damage my daughter.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No. Defamation is not a criminal offence.This could potentially amount to a defamation arguably but I'm afraid that making comments of this nature is not likely to get over the hurdle of causing 'serious damage' as the new law requires and anyway there is no ascertainable financial loss.You could get a solicitor to write to them for about £100 plus VAT warning of the laws of defamation and that is often very effective but it doesn't give rise to an action per se.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No . Thank you for awnser.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/