Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Can a developer change the name of our street without giving

Can a developer change the name of our street without giving us notice?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Good evening my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.Do you know if the developer gave notice to the local council?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they gave notice to the council
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. The law which deals with changes/alterations to street names is the Public Health Act 1925 and the relevant section states: 18 Alteration of name of street. (1)The urban authority by order may alter the name of any street, or part of a street, or may assign a name to any street, or part of a street, to which a name has not been given. (2)Not less than one month before making an order under this section, the urban authority shall cause notice of the intended order to be posted at each end of the street, or part of the street, or in some conspicuous position in the street or part affected. (3)Every such notice shall contain a statement that the intended order may be made by the urban authority on or at any time after the day named in the notice, and that an appeal will lie under this Act to a petty sessional court against the intended order at the instance of any person aggrieved. (4)Any person aggrieved by the intended order of the local authority may, within twenty-one days after the posting of the notice, appeal to a petty sessional court So what we can see from the law is that a developer has no legal obligation to inform residents of a change of name - that obligation rests with the council. The council has to put notices on the street at least one month before the change of name but there is nothing in the law that says that each householder has to be informed individually. Your local council may have their own policy about changes to street names which you can ask for - but to answer your original question: the developer cannot change the street name without giving residents notice because their obligation is to go through the council not individual residents.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer otherwise I am not paid for my time. I am happy to help further if needed. Many thanks. Alice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alice,
Sorry for a late reply.
I'm pretty sure no notice was given. My property is at the end of the road and didn't see any official notice
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Hi. It is a legal requirement for notices to placed on the street. You can check with your local authority to see if this was done and to be given a copy of the notice. If the change has already taken place it's probably a little too late to do anything now as usually any objections have to be notified within 3 weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Alice,
I'll send you a rating, thanks