12826847

My ex boyfriend got me a MacBook last year birthday.

Hi, my ex boyfriend got me a MacBook last year for my birthday. He got it on finance at the time and hadn't finished paying for it before we broke up. He's now demanding I pay for the remaining amount as its in my possession. He has said he'll take me to a small claims court if I don't agree to pay it. Where do I stand on this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Have you paid for any of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't put anything towards it. I was given the gift in April and we broke up in October. I assumed he would of paid it off by then.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How much was it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About £1300
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.In principle he would not have a claim. A gift is a gift.What he may be saying though is that it wasn't a gift but that there was a contractual arrangment around it. That is very common with motorvehicles and generally speaking courts do dislike a person being in debt over a romantic gift. You can defend this on the basis that it was a gift and that may be accepted but he may run it on that basis.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok. Well that's good news.Thanks for your help Jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.All the best.