How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10534
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My son married a Trinidadian and the visa application has commenced.

Resolved Question:

my son married a Trinidadian and the visa application has commenced. She has been told that if permitted to come here she cannot return for five years [not sure what the consequences would be]. Would there any bar to her visiting her family in Triindad?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, I regret to say that your information is mistaken. There is no limit on a person holding a UK spousal visa, such as your son's Trinidadian spouse, from returning to Trinidad to see her family. Nor is there any other limitation placed on her spending time abroad, if she wishes. However, the issue is only important if your son's Trinidadian spouse applies for citizenship. She will be entitled to apply for UK citizenship after three years living in the UK based on her marriage to your son (a UK citizen) and her three years' residency in the UK. It is a condition of the application, however, that your son's spouse has not spent more than 270 days outside the uK during that three year period. This is the only way in which absences from the UK might prejudice your son's spouse. So, as long as she does not spend more than 270 days out of the UK during that three year period, she can qualify for citizenship. There is no five year prevention of exiting the UK as your Question seems to suggest.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your question.
Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions