12826847

What is the time period persons and libel?

Customer Question

what is the time period for suing persons for slander and libel? In June 2010 2 employees made serious safe guarding allegations against us, directors of care homes. They were setting up their own business and attempting to steal our clients. It was very damaging and our referrals were frozen. We lost everything and only now can we afford to sue. We have kept good records and evidence. Will we still be in time? How much would this averagely cost?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you intend suing for defamation then the time limits are one year from the date of the utterance.Therefore, I'm afraid you would be out of time.You could apply to extend time under S32 Limitation Act 1980 but you will need a very good reason. Time limits are fairly vigorously enforced.Sorry if that is bad news.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were both under extreme stress losing our business of 10 years and reputations. We both had depression afterwards. We lost all our money and left with debt which we still have Only now have we come into a sum of money so we can pay for it. Would this be a good enough reason?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14/03/2016 11:35
We were both under extreme stress losing our business of 10 years and reputations. We both had depression afterwards. We lost all our money and left with debt which we still have Only now have we come into a sum of money so we can pay for it. Would this be a good enough reason? Also could we sue them under false whistle blowing for their own financial gain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please answer
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but it would not. You would have to have an excuse like being locked up on a mental health ward to get them to extend time. It is really strictly enforced.