31090051

I am amateur playwright who has written a play about the miners

I am amateur playwright who has written a play about the miners strike called Shafted. This was due to have been performed last year but has been postponed until now. However I have now discovered that John Godber is touring with a play of the same name about the aftermath of the dispute. Can we still use the title?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Copyright cannot be used to protect the title of the work, only the work itself. So unless the other touring play has acquired a trademark for the title, there is nothing to stop you using the title as long as you are not passing off the other play. I take from your narrative that your play is entirely different and that apart from the general subject matter, there is no similarity between the two. Accordingly in the same way that a song or a book could have the same title as another song or another book, the is nothing to prevent you using this name for your play. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Can I help you further with this?