Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My mother died 3 years ago and left her house to my brother,

My mother died 3 years ago and left her house to my brother, and the cash was split, at the time the solicitor was concerned that it wasn't 50/50 and asked if I would like to contest it, my mother did not like me. We asked my brother to think about making it fairer as I wanted to pay my mortgage off he refused, we haven't spoke since, my uncle died last week and it has brought it all back, I now feel that I should fight for what should of been a fair share, but most importantly I want to feel that I was thought of the same as my brother in our family.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, under English law, there is only a period of six months within which you can contest the distribution under a will. Once this period has passed, then you lose the rights to contest how equitably the division of assets was. Accordingly, I regret to say that after three years, you will no longer be able to contest the division of monies by your mother under her will as the statute of Limitations operates to have made your claim time barred. So I regret you will be unable to do anything about this issue now.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer, as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.