12826847

My tenant has been subletting my property without my permission,

my tenant has been subletting my property without my permission, what are my rights.
He has been subletting through Airbnb for £200 per night
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What type of contract is he on with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the late response. He is on a Assured shorthold tenancy
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do you want him out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes what is the best and quickest way for me to do this ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If you are in the middle of an AST then you would need to serve a S8 notice citing the subletting as a ground. It is a ground to evict.You don't have to give substantial notice either but it does take some time to get a hearing date.Also, you face the difficulty of proving that there is subletting. Make sure you gather evidence of that.You might want to serve a S21 notice as well so that at least that is done if the S8 route fails.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does each of the above take ?I have copies of the websites where the property has been advertised and i even have email confirmation from the tenant (he lied and said that he sublet the property for a short while whilst he was on holiday) i know for a act the property was sublet back as far as July 2015 and he has future bookings up to December this year.
Im scared that my property may become damaged.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You could rely on grounds 12 and 14 and both demand 14 days notice. Notice is not usually long.The problem is getting a court date for possession if he does not go and that can take two to three months.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else i can do to stop him subletting in the mean time ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not really. I suppose you could the sublet tenant of the dangerous nature of his position which might cause him to go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for you help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.All the best.