Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I own a basement flat in a house which has been converted

Customer Question

Hi I own a basement flat in a house which has been converted to 3 flats. This has been transferred from leasehold to freehold ownership in the past few years and now there is a large repair to an area of the building which does not affect my flat, am I liable for a 1/3 share of the costs of the repairs?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nicola,Thanks for your enquiry.The answer lies with what it says in your Lease.I must say that it would be normal for the Lease to say you are responsible to contribute to the maintenance costs relating to the Building itself (even if the area in which maintenance is required does not affect the basement area), I'm afraid.If you have a read of your Lease, it will make it clear what your responsibilities are towards contributing towards maintenance costs.I hope this assists and sets out the legal position, but please let me know if you require further clarification.Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Al, I have a freehold not leasehold agreement.
Hi Nicola,Even though you own a share in the Freehold, there should also be a Lease in place for the basement flat, as you can't own the freehold of just a floor in the building. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it would be most unusual and not the correct way of doing things if all you had was the Freehold interest in the basement).I will await to hear from you.Kind RegardsAl