Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Morning hopefully you can help me , I have had a sofa delivered

Morning hopefully you can help me , I have had a sofa delivered from Dfs on the 17 Feb . Two men arrived in a white van and tried to deliver sofa I explained that I had new wooden floors put down the day before ready for new sofa , so could they be careful these men tried a few different times 3 in total to get sofa into lounge with no success .
Then I noticed that the floors had been damaged and the walls had Scratch marks from the feet of sofa , I pointed out the damaged to delivery men their reply was don't be out of order if you report this as it comes out off our wages and we have Kids to feed and getting quite aggressive .
I phone dfs straight away whilst delivery drivers were out side . And reported damage I took a while for the manager of dfs to make contact as he was on leave but he said get 2 quotes from decorators to repair the damage these were not dfs delivery drivers but a sub contractor they use I did what he asked now he's saying its to expensive and he's not paying where do I stand legally as my house is damaged the sofa was returned to dfs as it wouldn't fit but we kept the dinning table and chairs on the same order we payed for delivery £55 so is there potential to sue if he refuses to rectify damage he's phoning back today with a good will gesture I don't know what to do thanks ***** *****
Expert:  Jenny replied 10 months ago.
Hello Nick my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Did you pay DFS directly for the delivery of the furniture?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes I did in store
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did you get my last message I payed dfs £55 for delivery
Expert:  Jenny replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks under the Consumer Contracts Act you have the right to receive goods which are of satisfactory quality and in respect of the service (delivery) you have the right to have this carried out with reasonable care and skill. In other words you have the right to expect that the delivery drivers would not cause damage to your property. The fact that the delivery was carried out by a third party is irrelevant as the contract is with DFS. I would suggest you tell DFS that if they do not pay to put the damage right you will bring a claim under the Consumer Contracts Act. You can also report the issue to Trading Standards. You should take photos of the damage and get quotes. Before raising a claim you will need to send a letter before action giving them 7 days to pay the amount it costs to repair the damage and say if they do not you will raise a claim. You can then raise a claim at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Jenny for the advice just to confirm I am not in a monthly contract this was a one of payment of £28 for your help regards ***** *****
Expert:  Jenny replied 10 months ago.
Yes unless you have asked for a contract it will be a one off payment. All the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 10 months ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know as I can see you have not yet rated my answer?
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only