Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I was put on the Sex Offenders Register in 1999 in connection with offences committed in t

I was put on the Sex Offenders Register in 1999 in connection with offences committed in the late 1970s.
I have lived overseas since 1993 and my return overseas was approved soon after my release from prison.
I have visited UK for short - about a week - family visits almost every year since then.
I recently found out by chance that a new Act came into force in 2003 and that the reporting regulations are far stricter than they were under the regulations which were in force in 1999.
I have never been informed of any changes which might apply to me.
My query is to know whether the 2003 regulations apply to those on the register before the new act came into force.
If they do, what are they and what is my situation as I have ignored them through not knowing that they existed - am I liable to arrest for failing to report my visits to UK over the last dozen years?
Also, how are people living outside the UK supposed to know when changes are made to the rules?
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a lawyer based in London. please bear with me for a few minutes while I read your question thoroughly.
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
You would originally have subject to the reporting requirements under the Sexual Offences Act 1997. This Act was updated by the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and later by the Sexual Offences (Notification Requirements) (England and Wales) Regulations 2012. The new measures came into force on 13 August 2012 and require all offenders subject to the notification requirements under the Sexual Offences Act 2003 to notify to the police:of all foreign travel (including travel outside of the UK of less than three days)weekly, where they are not registered as regularly residing or staying at one place (that is, where a registered sex offender has no sole or main residence and instead must notify the police of the place where he can regularly be found)where they are living in a household with a child under the age of 18of bank account and credit card details and notify information about their passports or other identity documents at each notification, tightening the rules so that sex offenders can no longer seek to avoid being on the register when they change their name.