Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am a landlord and i need to give my tenant notice to quit.

I am a landlord and i need to give my tenant notice to quit. The AST Agreement says "The term of the agreement is a periodic tenancy commencing on 8 Oct 2011 and continuing on a year-to-year basis until the Landlord or the Tenant terminates the tenancy". How much notice do I need to give?
Thanks in anticipation
Bob
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Are you sure that it is a rolling yearly agreement?Was the tenancy initially for a fixed period of one year? It is highly unusual for there to be an automatically renewed yearly assured shorthold tenancy.How often is rent paid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rent is paid monthly. No, the tenancy was not initially for one year
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under "term" it says "The term of the agreement is a periodic tenancy commencing 8 Oct 2011 and continuing on a year-to-year basis until The Landlord or the Tenant terminates the tenancy"
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - you can serve a Section 21 notice. You must: -give them notice in writing-give them at least 2 months notice-state in the notice that it is being served under Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988-the notice must end on the last day of the tenancy period, therefore if the agreement started on 8 October 2011 it will end on 7 October 2016.Please provide a positive rating if you found this information helpful. I will not be credited for answering this question without a positive rating. Thank you