Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Is it binding if the wording in an Irish will states:

Hello - is it binding if the wording in an Irish will states: "I direct as follows .... (2) that the firm of solicitors to be instructed in the administration of my estate shall be that of Messrs xxxx" Can we use another solicitor if we think this firm's fees are too high?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. A clause providing a "direction" to the executor or the next of kin is not legally binding. Should the executor decide that the firm of solicitors are going to charge too much for the matters relating to the administration of the estate, then they can choose someone else to act as solicitors. A direction is not legally binding. It is not mandatory. Instead the executor can exercise a choice. The deceased's will is only binding in so far as it contains bequests.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the Answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Please note that this is the intepretation under Irish law. I am an Irish qualified barrister who is also qualified in England & Wales.