12826847

Dear Solicitor PROBLEM WITH MY BUILDER AND WORK NOT DONE OR

Dear Solicitor
PROBLEM WITH MY BUILDER AND WORK NOT DONE OR DONE BADLY.
I employed a builder for a project to do various jobs in my house. The project was started on 16 January to be completed within 2 weeks. The project was delayed by the builder by nearly 2 weeks and was not finished by 12th February when we went to America for my son's engagement. Some of the items have still not completed. The porcelain tiling in the kitchen has been done very badly and of the 100 tiles over 70 are uneven. My son sent him the attached email regarding the work and his reply is as per the email. i need to know where we stand regarding the work not done and other work which we asked him to quote but he did it without us confirming if we wanted the work to be done. He told us initially if we pay him cash he will not charge VAT. We have paid him £4,000 in cash and he is asking for the balance of £3,902 excl VAT. The biggest concern we have is the tiling in the kitchen which has cost us over £2,000 which looks very bad and we want this to be redone. The cost of another tiler doing this will be in excess of £3,000 which is the money we need to withhold until the job is done to our satisfaction. As you will notice he has said in his email he is happy to cover the cost of new tiles as well as fix the issue. The builder is coming to see us tomorrow and we need to know where we stand today. Due to this dispute he has added VAT to each item. He has threatened to take us to court if we do not pay him.
Most of the agreement was done verbally.
Can you please advice us where we stand on the above issues/disputes.
Jeff Rajpoot
email:***@******.***
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Solicitor
PROBLEM WITH BUILDER
We employed a builder to do work for us. He and his team started the work on 16 January and it was agreed he will finish it within 2 weeks. The work was not finished in time and it still has not finished as there a few items not completed and we also have a major problem with the porcelain tiling done in the kitchen by his workers. There are other issues where he has charged us more than the agreed price. The tiling in the kitchen looks bad as some of the tiles are higher than the next tiles. When the tiling was started I notice this and on two occasion told him the tiling was not level. He told me not to worry as once the grouting is done they will look fine. They don’t. Of the 95 tiles fiited over 70 are uneven and not laid properly. I inquired form a tiler the cost of removing and replacing the kitchen tiles would be and he has quoted a figure of £3000 plus VAT. There was one job we asked him to give us a quote and did not agree to the quote of agreed for him to do the job. He did and has charged us £500. We sent him an email regarding these problems and his reply is as per attached.
Initially he told us if we pay him cash he will not charge us VAT. Now because of the dispute he has adding VAT on each item. He has taken £4000 cash and now he is demanding balance of £3900+VAT. He signed for the payment for £4000. Everything was discussed and agreed verbally. We sent him an email regarding the problems and his reply is in the email attached.
Can you please advise us of where we stand. The builder is coming to our house for a meeting tonight and we need a reply by this evening or ASAP.
I asked this question on your website a few minutes ago but before I could complete and not sure whether it was complete. I had processed the £56 payment. Can you please check to make sure this query is not duplicated.
Regards,
Jeff Rajpoot
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So what is your question about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question i s
1. Where do we stand regarding the issues with him.
2 What is our position if he takes us to court.
3. Do we have to pay him the balance before the job is completed top our satisfaction.
4 He has said he will cover the cost of new tiles as well fix the issue. I have no confidence in his builders. Do I have to let him do the job or get another tilers and deduct the cost from the balance owed to him.
5 What is the position regarding overcharges
6 What is the position re the work we did not authorise
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did you agree satisfaction guaranteed?