12826847

Is it worth challenging a speeding recorded by road-manned

Is it worth challenging a speeding recorded by road-manned equipment on Queen Margarets road, Scarborough? Recorded speed was 44 mph in a 30 mph speed control. I didn't realise I was in a 30 mph controlled area, but 44 mph is fast anyway for that road, even if i thought it was a 40 mph. On google maps, there appear to be no road signs anywhere on this road, no matter which way you are travelling, though there are street lights. The time of the offence was 11:10, date 12/03/2026.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Were you speeding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't think so at the time, and am genuinely surprised I was recorded as travelling at 44 mph. I was not concentrating, and didn't realise I was still in a 30 mph zone.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Were there street lamps at regular intervals?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like it to me on google, and that indicates 30 mph unless otherwise stated with a sign.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Are you asking if this is a defence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really. However, there are no 30 mph limits on this road apparently. However, if you are already in a 30 mph, then its up to the driver presumably to be aware. In that case I don't have a defence. being clocked at 44 mph gives the court the opportunity/discretion to disqualify me for a month. I'm a supply teacher, and that would be disastrous financially.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other points and when did you pass your test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, had to help with some teaching. Passed in 1977, and last points in 2007....speeding at 83 on the motorway...Saturday morning.....road mannned detector.....North Yorkshire police !!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is quite unlikely you would be banned for this then.You are just within the bracket where they could do that. It does carry 4-6 points or a short ban of between 7 - 28 days. That isn't likely though. I would expect four points and a fine.If you get four points then you wouldn't be facing revocation. You are not a new driver under the scheme and anyway you would only have four points. Further it would not render you liable to totting.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, that's all clear and thanks for the advice Jo. Tks, Lance