75100385

My son failed a breathalyser test, he blew 54 and at the

Hi, my son failed a breathalyser test, he blew 54 and at the station he blew 59. They kept him in a cell for 3 hours then took him back to his car to drive off to work. He has to appear in court on 7th April. He's only 20 years old and this is his first offence. He needs his car for work as we live in a rural area and he has early starts so public transport is not possible. What do you think the outcome would be and should we hire a solicitor or will one be available to him on the day of the court case please?
Many thanks,
Debbie Ashworth
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello Debbie my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Does he have any other driving convictions please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, he attended a speed awareness course but no fine or points applied
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I assume he accepts the offence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but it seems odd his test at the road was lower than at the station?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Whether its 54 or 59 its in the same bracket and wont make that much difference.The bad news is he WILL be disqualified, the Court has no discretion on that point. They must disqualify.The goods news is that it is in the lower bracket of 36-59 which the sentencing range is a fine only. The disqualification period is 12-16 months but this can be reduced by 25% by taking the drink driving course. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. Is it worth taking a solicitor with us to court or will one be available to him at the court please?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
There will be someone at Court, but he wont need one. There is no risk of custody.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does that help? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I think that's covered everything thank you Alex.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sorry its not better news. He will have to apply for his licence after the disqualification it wont automatically be sent.But take the course as it reduces by 25%.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything else? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No you have been very helpful thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. good luck.