75100385

I am in court on monday,at a hearing,been charged with

Customer Question

Hello,i am in court on monday,at a hearing,been charged with physical abuse of my wife,we had an argument and i slapped her face,its my first time in trouble with the law,and don't know what to expect.I have pleaded guilty and feel that i don't need a solicitor,do you think i am right?Also am i expected to turn up for this hearing in a suit?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Have you been charged with common assault?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
assualt by beating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - then if you plead guilty you get 1/3rd off any sentence. There are 3 different sentencing guidelines: 1) Lesser harm and lower culpability 2) Greater harm (injury or fear of injury must normally be present) and lower culpability; or lesser harm and higher culpability or 3) Greater harm (injury or fear of injury must normally be present) and higher culpability
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Given what you have said its likely to be the middle one. The starting point is a Community Order with range from a fine to Community Order. You are likely to get a community order for this.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what do you think i will be sentenced to? It was a slap across the face,and my wife has since asked for the charge to be dropped.Oh ok does this mean that i will have to do some community work?Should i wear a suit to the hearing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I think you are likely to get a Community Order, for example unpaid work. So yes you will get that I think - there is no risk of custody. Yes you should wear a suit.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything for you? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,just one other thing,i have no solicitor,and am just planning to speak to the duty solicitor on the day,do you think this is wise?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is fine - you dont need one in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again Alex.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luck