75100385

I am being accused of benefit fraud, I believe its because

I am being accused of benefit fraud, I believe its because my partner stays over sometimes. I am being invited to attend an interview investigating benefit fraud. What should I do?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.How often does she stay over please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He stays over 3 nights a week because we know it's benefit fraud if he stays more than this. Although sometimes when I work nights he may stay additional nights
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Did you inform the Council he was staying 3 nights a week?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I didn't think I had to as I live here with my 3 children and he lives in his own place.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Generally you should tell them of ANY changes, including any nights your partner is regularly staying over. But based on what you have said, I do not think this is fraud became your partner is not spending the majority of time at yours.But you should have told them your partner was staying over, whether or not it is not the majority of timeCan I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. So when I go to the interview will they charge me for fraud because I haven't told them he stays over? And because of the amount of people that do lie am I going to be accused of doing this on purpose? Do I need a solicitor with me at the interview?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You should have told them, but its unlikely because it was not the majority of the time.You can take a Solicitor with you if you wish, its up to you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly I know I should have told them now. But it hasn't crossed my mind this whole time that I needed to do or say anything as he's not financialy supporting me. I don't want to take a solicitor with me because I can't afford it. I just need to know if I need one?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No you dont need one. Just think about the answers before you give them.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say think about the answers. In what way? I was going to tell them the truth. Do you think I will come across as lying? I don't know what to do as I never believed I was breaking the law and now I'm being accused of benefit fraud. I'm a student nurse and I don't have a life outside of that just the rare time I get to spend with my 3 children. And now I'm a criminal!?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You are not a criminal - this is just an investigation, nothing may happen as a result. But as I said, you should have told them if he was spending any time there. But if its less than 4 days, you shouldnt have anything to worry about.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your time. But as iv obviously done wrong by not telling them they will have every right to charge me so if they can I'm sure they will. Of which I cannot afford and also I could lose my carrier over it. So it dosent look good at all.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily - they may suspect more then 3 nights a week and that is what they need clarification on. But you dont know until the interview.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Does that help? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. Yes that helps
Many thanks Amy
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luck Amy.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, so the site pays me for the time spent with you today.