29905560

Jones - Data Protection Act Company X's HR department

For Ben Jones - Data Protection Act
Company X's HR department argue that no data of employees can be disclosed to anyone due to data protection act.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is the head of Corporate Unit (not Business Unit), Can the CFO request for all employees within the Corporate Unit, to see their salary and grades (as he is the Head of the Unit)?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Why does he need to see the salary and grades?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To control costs and ensure consistency for all employees in his dept.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Disclosing personal data amount to processing it, which will be covered by certain principles under the Data Protection Act 1998. Disclosure of personal data is most likely to be justified if one or more of the following conditions applies:· The data subject has given their consent to the disclosure· The disclosure is in the legitimate interests of the employer and does not prejudice the rights, freedoms or legitimate interests of the data subject.· There is a statutory or legal obligation to disclose the data.· The disclosure is required for the performance of a contract· The disclosure is necessary to protect the vital interests of the data subject. So there are at least a couple of grounds on which the data could be legally disclosed to the CFO if necessary. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you