13262538

My sister and I are tennants in common having inherited the

My sister and I are tennants in common having inherited the family home.After renting it out for the last six years my sister has d cided she needs to sell.I have agreed to this although the rental income suited me and I also agreed that she could spend the working capital in our joint account to make the house more marketable.Unfortunately she along with her son spent double the amount against my advice.Six months later the house hasnt attracted a buyer although there has been interest.We have lowered the price and now she is wanting to spend more on the rear garden.This will bring the total spend to about £10 k
on property marketed currently at £230.000
She is determined to sell and is prepared to spend whatever it takes inorder to achieve this.
My question is : Do I have to share these costs that she is incurring or can I refuse when we ultimately sell.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstHave you asked the Estate Agent why the property is not selling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we have three estate agents trying to sell but the market is slow but picking up .Various reasons have been given by those viewing the property although they all say they likei it.Location near the road intersection ,too large for two people .
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Have you asked if the Agents believe that the property is overpriced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it was reduced by £10k inorder to attract a buyer.I want to know if I am responsible for half of all the expenditure that she is continuing to spend in a vain attempt to attract a buyer.The house has many fundamental issues that need a great deal of money to resolve.She is trying to paper over the cracks.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Will the Estate Agent confirm that the garden work will not help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can check it with them.The parties that have viewed have not mentioned the garden although one party was keen to explore a covered link to the patio from the house.The garden needs totally landscaping and the perimeter stone wall need to be rebuilt.The garage at the top of the garden also has potential and a terrace could be built in front of it at the same time creating an off road carspace .This house is a project for someone to spend a great deal of money on.As it is it is perfectly habitable clean and warm,structurally sound.It has been let out to students for six years but empty for the last ten months while various agreed and unagreed improvements have been made.The market in Mid Wales is slow and it will take time to sell .The question I have is , in law have I got to agree all this expenditure or can I say to my sister you want it to sell quickly so you spend the money on it.She is also bringing in her son and now son in law to carry out the work and I feel guilty about refusing them payment.I feel I have no control over the situation and that I will be made to pay up when eventually the house will sell.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
No you do not.You would have to contribute to any work essential for the sale (roof repair etc) but NOT for garden landscaping (after all most of us like to plan out own gardens)You should write a letter to your sister recording in writing (or via an email) that you will NOT agree to any work that is not essential for a saleI would also suggest that you stay in close touch with the agents so that the sale price can be adjusted downwards if necessaryI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for answering this question and clarifying the situation as regards ***** ***** as Tennant in Common.I will advise my sister in writting accordingly.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome I hope all goes well