Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am starting the process of extending the lease on my house,

I am starting the process of extending the lease on my house, which is currently 65 years. The housing association I bought the house from originally are going to charge me £480 for a valuation, £500 to cover their legal fees and £16 for land registry documents which I already have in my bundle of papers when the mortgage was paid off. Can I not just instruct my own solicitor to carry out the process and pay them, rather than pay the housing association costs on top of my own solicitor costs.
Many thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. You should check what it states in your lease, as it is standard for most freeholders to include that the leaseholder pays for the freeholder's costs in relation to applications to extend the leases. In any event, both you and the freeholder will need separate legal representation in this process.Please provide a positive rating if you found this helpful. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you