Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Can a husband & wife, who have been married years, be

Can a husband & wife, who have been married for 39 years, be granted a divorce if they are both in agreement & not had an intimate relationship for 31 years of the marriage? They've been living together as friends under the same roof & still wish this same arrangement to exist should a divorce be completed.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Yes you can either apply under 2 years separation (by consent - so the respondent will need to provide a signed letter to accompany the petition) or under 5 years separation. You will need to outline the full extent of the separation to demonstrate to the court that you have remained living together but are living separate lives under the same roof.Please provide a positive rating if you found this helpful. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Simply to add to the above.If you wish to use the Separation ground then you must convince the Court that you have lived completely apart during that time -as if you were two strangers sharing a house togetherNo shared cooking shopping cleaning or washing whatsoever, and no shared finances.The alternative, which I accept you may find distasteful, is that one of you divorces the other based on Unreasonable BehaviourYou can agree the allegations and it is an alternative way around the problemClare
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters