75100385

I have lived in a house (owned by someone else) with my family

I have lived in a house (owned by someone else) with my family for 11 years and I have never paid rent or had a tenancy agreement. The house formed part of my job which I have now lost. I have spent a lot of money on the house. What rights do I have?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm your relationship to the family and the legal owner of the property.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - My family and I are not related at all to the owner of the property. I live in the house with my wife and 2 children aged 14 and 11.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a tenancy agreement? If not, under what basis or agreement are you at the property. What money have you spent on the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The house was provided as part of my job in 2006. We have lived there since but have never had a tenancy agreement and have never paid rent. The owner of the property has never visited the property or spent any money on it since we moved in. We have probably spent around £80k total - we felt we had to to keep the house in good condition and nice to live in.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
What was the £80,000 for? It seems a lot to keep a house in good condition over 10 years.Has the owner ever discussed with you the basis of you staying there - eg. under what terms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We put in a new kitchen, a new main bathroom, replaced the downstairs cloakroom, put internal shutters on all upstairs windows, redecorated and re-carpeted throughout, new gutters, new front door, new back door, new patio doors, new gutters, garden improvements etc. The house was provided as part of my job...so while I had the job I was able to live in the house - this was agreed in 2005....I believe that in 2005 i signed a letter which confirmed that the house formed part of my job contract and that if I no longer had the job I would no longer be entitled to the house. This was an informal letter and not done via a solicitor. I have now been told that my job will no longer exist from June onwards.....so I find myself without a job but not by my choice.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming - I will allow a colleague with the expertise in this area to assist and I will opt out
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.To confirm you have no tenancy agreement at all and the job you had has now ended?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct - no tenancy agreement and now no job.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its bad news I am afraid. Unless you have a tenancy agreement and your employment has been terminated you have no security and no right to remain.If you refuse to leave then the Landlord can seek a possession order in Court and you would have to leave. If you had a tenancy agreement that said you had the property for x months or x years then you would be ok.As you do not then you do not have any legal security and the Landlord can ask for the property back.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you…..I just wanted to check where I stood!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry its not better news.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could ask you to rate my service before you go today please, otherwise the site doesnt credit me for the time spent with you. Good luck and all the best. Alex
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience